Close Menu
Mirror Brief

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    You’re Most Likely to See a Rainbow on These Flights

    August 29, 2025

    Trump seeks to scrap $5 billion in foreign aid

    August 29, 2025

    Alibaba (BABA) June quarter 2025 earnings report

    August 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Mirror BriefMirror Brief
    Trending
    • You’re Most Likely to See a Rainbow on These Flights
    • Trump seeks to scrap $5 billion in foreign aid
    • Alibaba (BABA) June quarter 2025 earnings report
    • Khoki Tokyo Spring 2026 Collection
    • Ruben Amorim says temperament makes him feel he ‘wants to quit’ United some days | Manchester United
    • Here’s Every Way to Visit U.S. National Parks for Free in 2025
    • Starmer names former Bank deputy governor as his chief economic adviser | Economic policy
    • P&O Ferries boss who sparked outage after mass sacking quits
    Friday, August 29
    • Home
    • Business
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • World
    • Travel
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    Mirror Brief
    Home»Business»P&O Ferries boss who sparked outage after mass sacking quits
    Business

    P&O Ferries boss who sparked outage after mass sacking quits

    By Emma ReynoldsAugust 29, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    P&O Ferries boss who sparked outage after mass sacking quits
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The boss of P&O Ferries who presided over the mass sacking of hundreds of workers has quit his role.

    Chief executive Peter Hebblethwaite sparked outrage after he sacked 800 staff and replaced them with cheaper agency workers in March 2022.

    P&O Ferries told the BBC Mr Hebblethwaite was resigning to “dedicate more time to family matters”.

    Following the public outrage over the scandal, Mr Hebblethwaite admitted to MPs that the sackings broke UK employment law, but argued that the action was not illegal at a further committee meeting in May last year.

    P&O Ferries said on Friday it “extends its gratitude to Peter Hebblethwaite for his contributions as CEO over the past four years”.

    “During his tenure, the company navigated the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, initiated a path towards financial stability, and introduced the world’s first large double-ended hybrid ferries on the Dover-Calais route, thereby enhancing sustainability,” the company said.

    At the time of the mass sackings, hundreds of people protested in Dover, Liverpool, and Hull.

    The RMT union which represents seafarers said it was “looking forward to a Hebblethwaite-free ferry industry”, describing him as a “corporate pirate”,

    Trade union Nautilus said his actions demonstrated “the need for a mandatory seafarers’ charter and for stronger protections for workers in general”.

    Since scandal emerged, the government has drafted legislation aimed at preventing similar firings happening in the future.

    The Employment Rights Bill aims to end fire and rehire practices and contains a package of seafarer protections in response to the P&O Ferries scandal.

    Mr Hebblethwaite told MPs at a committee hearing in March 2022 there was “absolutely no doubt” that under UK employment law the firm was required to consult unions before making the mass cuts.

    However, he said no union would have accepted the plan and it was easier to compensate workers “in full” instead.

    In May last year, looking at workers’ rights and protection, Mr Hebblethwaite said that Section 188 of the Trade Union and Labour Relations Act “recognises that it is not always possible to consult”.

    He told MPs he was deeply sorry for the redundancies and claimed “we would not make that decision again”.

    He added that he would not be able to live on the £4.87 an hour rate that some of the agency crew were being paid at the time, which included overtime and bonuses. He also revealed he earned more than £500,000 in 2023.

    P&O Ferries did not face criminal action over the way it fired its employees with the Insolvency Service saying there was no realistic prospect of a conviction.

    However, a civil investigation is ongoing, which the government agency said it was “working hard to complete at the soonest opportunity”.

    “It is vital, for all those involved, that we assess carefully all the information available to us,” the Insolvency Service said.

    Mr Hebblethwaite was a former executive at J Sainsbury, Greene King, and Alliance Unichem before joining P&O Ferries in 2019. He then took over as chief executive two years later.

    Boss ferries mass outage quits sacking sparked
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleFour wheels good, two wheels bad: why are there no exciting cycling games? | Games
    Next Article Starmer names former Bank deputy governor as his chief economic adviser | Economic policy
    Emma Reynolds
    • Website

    Emma Reynolds is a senior journalist at Mirror Brief, covering world affairs, politics, and cultural trends for over eight years. She is passionate about unbiased reporting and delivering in-depth stories that matter.

    Related Posts

    Business

    Fed’s Waller, a candidate for chair, sees potential for half-point cut if labor market weakens further

    August 29, 2025
    Business

    The Cracker Barrel mess exposes the cynicism of the rightwing culture war | Sidney Blumenthal

    August 29, 2025
    Business

    ANZ bank boss apologises for firing staff with accidental email

    August 29, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Medium Rectangle Ad
    Top Posts

    Revealed: Yorkshire Water boss was paid extra £1.3m via offshore parent firm | Water industry

    August 3, 202513 Views

    PSG’s ‘team of stars’ seek perfect finale at Club World Cup

    July 12, 20258 Views

    Eric Trump opens door to political dynasty

    June 27, 20257 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews
    Technology

    Meta Wins Blockbuster AI Copyright Case—but There’s a Catch

    Emma ReynoldsJune 25, 2025
    Business

    No phone signal on your train? There may be a fix

    Emma ReynoldsJune 25, 2025
    World

    US sanctions Mexican banks, alleging connections to cartel money laundering | Crime News

    Emma ReynoldsJune 25, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Medium Rectangle Ad
    Most Popular

    Revealed: Yorkshire Water boss was paid extra £1.3m via offshore parent firm | Water industry

    August 3, 202513 Views

    PSG’s ‘team of stars’ seek perfect finale at Club World Cup

    July 12, 20258 Views

    Eric Trump opens door to political dynasty

    June 27, 20257 Views
    Our Picks

    You’re Most Likely to See a Rainbow on These Flights

    August 29, 2025

    Trump seeks to scrap $5 billion in foreign aid

    August 29, 2025

    Alibaba (BABA) June quarter 2025 earnings report

    August 29, 2025
    Recent Posts
    • You’re Most Likely to See a Rainbow on These Flights
    • Trump seeks to scrap $5 billion in foreign aid
    • Alibaba (BABA) June quarter 2025 earnings report
    • Khoki Tokyo Spring 2026 Collection
    • Ruben Amorim says temperament makes him feel he ‘wants to quit’ United some days | Manchester United
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    © 2025 Mirror Brief. All rights reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.