Close Menu
Mirror Brief

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ANZ bank boss apologises for firing staff with accidental email

    August 29, 2025

    DJI Mic 3 Review: The Best Wireless Mic Gets Better

    August 29, 2025

    Anderson set for first England call-up, Simons to join Spurs and more: football news – live | Premier League

    August 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Mirror BriefMirror Brief
    Trending
    • ANZ bank boss apologises for firing staff with accidental email
    • DJI Mic 3 Review: The Best Wireless Mic Gets Better
    • Anderson set for first England call-up, Simons to join Spurs and more: football news – live | Premier League
    • Mont Fuji: AI-generated video prepares Japan for its eruption
    • UK sought broad access to Apple customers’ data, court filing shows
    • Tesla FSD turns off more U.S. consumers than attracts, survey finds
    • Rebecca F Kuang: ‘A Tale of Two Cities is deeply silly camp – I love it!’ | Books
    • The best robot vacuums to keep your home clean and dust free, tested by our expert | Technology
    Friday, August 29
    • Home
    • Business
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • World
    • Travel
    • Technology
    • Entertainment
    Mirror Brief
    Home»Entertainment»Author Raynor Winn defends herself against claims she misled readers
    Entertainment

    Author Raynor Winn defends herself against claims she misled readers

    By Emma ReynoldsJuly 7, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Author Raynor Winn defends herself against claims she misled readers
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Steven McIntosh

    Entertainment reporter

    Getty Images Raynor Winn attends the UK Special Screening of The Salt Path at The Curzon Soho on 22 May 2025 in London. She has long strawberry blonde hair and is wearing a black and yellow top.Getty Images

    Author Raynor Winn has been accused of fabricating or giving misleading information about some elements of her best-selling book The Salt Path.

    The 2018 book, and recent film adaptation, told the story of a couple who decide to walk the 630-mile South West Coast Path after their home is repossessed.

    An investigation by the Observer suggested some of Winn’s claims about her husband’s illness and the events that led to the couple losing their home were misrepresented.

    Winn has described the Observer’s article as “highly misleading” and said the couple are taking legal advice, adding that the book was “the true story of our journey”.

    Here’s what we know so far:

    What is The Salt Path about?

    Getty Images Gillian Anderson and Raynor Winn attend the premiere of the movie The Salt Path during the 2025 Munich Film Festival on 1 July. They are both wearing white tops.Getty Images

    Gillian Anderson played Winn in the film adaptation of The Salt Path, released in May

    The Salt Path has sold more than two million copies since its publication in March 2018, and a film adaptation starring Gillian Anderson and Jason Isaacs was released earlier this year.

    In the book, Winn said she and her husband Moth lost a substantial sum of money after making a bad investment in a friend’s business, which left them liable for his debts when the company failed. She said it ultimately led to the couple losing their home.

    Around the same time, Winn wrote, Moth was diagnosed with corticobasal degeneration (CBD), which usually has a life expectancy of around six to eight years.

    Winn said after she and Moth became homeless and Moth was diagnosed with CBD, the couple decided in 2013 to set off on the South West Coast Path.

    The book documents the pair eventually walking the full 630-mile route, living off a small amount of money in weekly tax credits each week, and wild camping every night.

    It describes the physical exhaustion but also rewarding nature of the walk, as well as their interactions with members of the public along the way.

    The book ends with the couple getting a fresh start with the offer of new accommodation. As a result of the walk, Winn says her husband’s health improved, and he has now lived for 12 years since the diagnosis.

    Winn has written two further books since The Salt Path – both of which also focus on themes of walking, nature, homelessness and wild camping – and has a fourth due to be published later this year.

    What does the Observer’s investigation allege?

    Getty Images Moth Winn (L) and Jason Isaacs attend the UK special screening of The Salt Path at The Curzon Soho in London. Winn is wearing a dark suit, white shirt and a red and white spotty cravat. Isaacs is wearing a black suit and open-neck shift.Getty Images

    Moth Winn (left), pictured with actor Jason Isaacs, who portrayed him in the film

    The investigation claims the couple lost their home in North Wales after Winn defrauded her employer of £64,000, and not in a bad business deal as she originally suggested.

    The couple reportedly borrowed £100,000 with 18% interest, secured against their house, from a distant relative, in order to repay the money she had been accused of stealing.

    The Observer said the couple also had a £230,000 mortgage on the same property, meaning that their combined debts exceeded the value of the house.

    The couple’s home was then reportedly repossessed after they were sued to recover the money they had borrowed.

    The Observer added the couple owned a house in France. However, it also said the property had been in an uninhabitable state for some time, and that villagers said the couple never stayed in the house but would stay in caravans on the land.

    The newspaper also said it had spoken to medical experts who were sceptical about Moth having CBD, given his long survival after diagnosis, lack of acute symptoms and his apparent ability to reverse them.

    It also reports that Raynor and Moth Winn are not the couple’s real names.

    After the Observer’s article was published, the charity PSPA, which supports people with CBD and has worked with Raynor and Moth Winn, said “too many questions currently remain unanswered” and that it had “made the decision to terminate our relationship with the family”.

    Winn has also withdrawn from the forthcoming Saltlines tour, which would have seen her perform readings alongside Gigspanner Big Band during a string of UK dates.

    A statement from Winn’s legal team said the author was “deeply sorry to let down those who were planning to attend the Saltlines tour, but while this process is ongoing, she will be unable to take part”.

    How has Raynor Winn responded?

    In a statement released via literary agents Graham Maw Christie, Winn said: “Today’s Observer article is highly misleading.

    “We are taking legal advice and won’t be making any further comment at this time.”

    The statement continued: “The Salt Path lays bare the physical and spiritual journey Moth and I shared, an experience that transformed us completely and altered the course of our lives.

    “This is the true story of our journey.”

    The BBC has also contacted Penguin, who published the book, for comment.

    A spokeswoman for Number 9 Films and Shadowplay Features, who made the screen adaptation, said in a statement to Hollywood trade publication Deadline: “There were no known claims against the book at the time of optioning it or producing and distributing the film.”

    Their statement called the movie “a faithful adaptation of the book that we optioned”, adding, “we undertook all necessary due diligence before acquiring the book”.

    “The allegations made in The Observer relate to the book and are a matter for the author Raynor Winn,” it concluded. “We have passed any correspondence relating to the article to Raynor and her agent.”

    The film’s stars Anderson and Isaacs, have also been contacted for a response. BBC Film, which also helped finance and executive produce the movie, declined to comment.

    The film adaptation has taken around $16m (£11.7m) at the box office worldwide. The movie is yet to launch in Germany and France, while a deal is reportedly still pending in the US, according to Deadline.

    Author Claims defends misled Raynor readers Winn
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleYoung campers, teachers and football coach among Texas flood victims
    Next Article CoreWeave to acquire Core Scientific in $9 billion all-stock deal
    Emma Reynolds
    • Website

    Emma Reynolds is a senior journalist at Mirror Brief, covering world affairs, politics, and cultural trends for over eight years. She is passionate about unbiased reporting and delivering in-depth stories that matter.

    Related Posts

    Entertainment

    Rebecca F Kuang: ‘A Tale of Two Cities is deeply silly camp – I love it!’ | Books

    August 29, 2025
    Travel

    ‘It’s nature at its purest – remote, quiet and rejuvenating’: readers’ favourite wild places in Europe | Travel

    August 29, 2025
    Entertainment

    ‘Expect energy’ as Kneecap play home gig after year of controversy

    August 29, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Medium Rectangle Ad
    Top Posts

    Revealed: Yorkshire Water boss was paid extra £1.3m via offshore parent firm | Water industry

    August 3, 202513 Views

    PSG’s ‘team of stars’ seek perfect finale at Club World Cup

    July 12, 20258 Views

    Eric Trump opens door to political dynasty

    June 27, 20257 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews
    Technology

    Meta Wins Blockbuster AI Copyright Case—but There’s a Catch

    Emma ReynoldsJune 25, 2025
    Business

    No phone signal on your train? There may be a fix

    Emma ReynoldsJune 25, 2025
    World

    US sanctions Mexican banks, alleging connections to cartel money laundering | Crime News

    Emma ReynoldsJune 25, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Medium Rectangle Ad
    Most Popular

    Revealed: Yorkshire Water boss was paid extra £1.3m via offshore parent firm | Water industry

    August 3, 202513 Views

    PSG’s ‘team of stars’ seek perfect finale at Club World Cup

    July 12, 20258 Views

    Eric Trump opens door to political dynasty

    June 27, 20257 Views
    Our Picks

    ANZ bank boss apologises for firing staff with accidental email

    August 29, 2025

    DJI Mic 3 Review: The Best Wireless Mic Gets Better

    August 29, 2025

    Anderson set for first England call-up, Simons to join Spurs and more: football news – live | Premier League

    August 29, 2025
    Recent Posts
    • ANZ bank boss apologises for firing staff with accidental email
    • DJI Mic 3 Review: The Best Wireless Mic Gets Better
    • Anderson set for first England call-up, Simons to join Spurs and more: football news – live | Premier League
    • Mont Fuji: AI-generated video prepares Japan for its eruption
    • UK sought broad access to Apple customers’ data, court filing shows
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    © 2025 Mirror Brief. All rights reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.